Become a Communications Specialist
Becoming a Communications Specialist is an excellent place to start or continue in a career where you make a difference. Employees learn the conceptual fundamentals of public safety and develop the skills to effectively use the equipment, speak with callers, and process policy driven protocol while handling emergency situations. The knowledge and confidence gained through the training and on the job experience helps employees to grow in ways they never dreamed.
The Communications Bureau is part of the Administrative Division and is the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for the City of Greenville. Thirty civilian employees are responsible for answering over 250,000 telephone calls a year and for maintaining efficient radio contact with all police, fire and forensics responders for over 110,000 calls for service each year.
Apply online for this position.
Communications Specialists answer emergency calls and assist as the first point of contact for the City of Greenville.
The Bureau is staffed 24 hours a day/365 days a year. Employees work 12-hour days with every other weekend off. Each year, operators bid for their shift of choice of nights or days. Shift assignments are made based on longevity scores and performance evaluations.
New employees start in a temp-to-fulltime work status with full-time hours and receive pay adjustments as the employee acquires necessary skills. Employees' progress into full-time employment when the training program is completed; typically 3 to 4 months. Applicants with South Carolina SLED/NCIC Certification, South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy-Basic 911 Certification and current APCO certifications may be eligible for a 5% increase in salary.
All hours worked in excess of 40 hours a week are compensated at the rate of time and a half.
- Medical and dental Insurance at a group rate; City pays a portion of the coverage
- $25,000 life insurance policy for all full-time employees
- Deferred compensation plans (401K or 457b) are offered
- Membership in the credit union is available
- Eligible for South Carolina State Retirement after 30 years of service
- $5,000 education tuition reimbursement
- Yearly physicals at no cost to the employee
- Three days of funeral leave for the death of an immediate family member
- Excellent leave benefits that increase with service time
- At least 18 years of age
- United States citizen
- High school diploma or GED equivalency
- Never convicted of a felony
- Never convicted of a crime of moral turpitude or a misdemeanor carrying a possible sentence of more than one year
- Pass a medical exam and drug testing screening