The entire Swamp Rabbit Trail section within the Greenville city limits will be closed until further notice beginning at sundown today, Monday, April 6. Once received, signs advising the public will be posted at the City/County line and in various locations along the trail. This additional public safety measure is necessary for several reasons:
- Trail usage overall is increasing as more residents take advantage of spring weather
- Due to park closures, there is more concentrated pedestrian traffic on open sections of the trail close to downtown
- Most of the City’s trail network is only 11-feet-wide, which does not allow adequate distance between users
- Increased respiration when exercising increases the likelihood of expelling droplets just by breathing
- Full closure of the trail reduces confusion regarding where the public is allowed and makes it easier to follow the guidelines
The City continues to urge residents to stay home and stay safe.